Wednesday 15 September 2010

Upholstery update!



Here is my bed head!

It took me almost exactly a year to finish, although I did miss a term and I did spend most of my class time talking. Hopefully that will be cured as I have enrolled in a different class this semester (the wonders of part time work) so hopefully I wont be as tired as I was getting there after work at the end of the week.

I used all the traditional methods including using horsehair to build it up. I was pretty proud of my stitching, I created a very firm edge by keeping the string very tight and the horse hair nicely packed in. All this said, it wasn't the best stage for me in terms of allergies! Nothing sets off my nose and eyes like Hessian and horse hair.

I finished the bed head by using double-piping, which I made myself. It was fairly easy, the only trouble was when the sewing machine kept running over the cord inside the material (enter the dreaded unstitcher thingamajig) but otherwise I think it has come up a treat and I am pretty pleased considering it is the first piece I have ever upholstered. I posted the completed piece on my Facebook and was very flattered by the response it received - thanks guys!

I have already started on the foot board which should *hopefully* go much quicker. I am already much more confident which takes away a lot of the time wasted hesitating, asking 'is this right?'. Maybe we will be in the bed by the end of the year?! It has taken a bit longer than my initial 3 day estimate to be sure.

I am really looking forward to starting on this small armchair I found when we were clearing out the loft. I have already stripped it in preparation. Will need to get thinking about fabric soon.

Here are some pictures from along the way.


6 comments:

  1. Wow the bed head looks fantastic!! Nice work Phoebe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bed looks a treat Phoebe. Congratulations. May have to commission a piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks dad! Show me the money!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ant! Very slow going, but it is worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...