Monday 20 September 2010

Reading for quilters

I have been learning the beautiful and relaxing art of quilting of late. Whilst searching the internet for help and inspiration, I have come across some lovely blogs as well as purchasing a wonderful book with one of the most beautiful covers I have ever seen.

I will start with the book first as it neatly segues into the blogs.

Jane Brocket's book, The Gentle Art of Quiltmaking is just beautiful, there is no other word. Her words are wonderful. I find her writing so enjoyable in fact, I actually read the instructions and notes contained within her book, instead of my regular morning novel on the tube. I think her quilts are amazing. I haven't had the opportunity to attempt one of her designs yet, but I can see they are not going to be terribly difficult and leave me feeling like a lost failure. Her focus is on enjoying quilting and she is very practical in her advice. I read more than once, lines like, "They say you should do x, but I just do y and it works just fine". As a beginner, it is lovely to be guided by someone not too hung up on the fiddly traditions, and focus instead on what makes it an enjoyable past time. The recommended retail is £20, but I picked up a copy on Amazon for almost half that.


Jane Brocket's blog, Yarnstorm, is another gem. Living in England with her family, Jane writes about wonderful European holidays, shares amazing and inspiring photos as well as reviewing books and recipes. She often posts pictures of quilts she has made, or blankets she has crocheted. I visit her blog every few days now to read her latest posts. Her photos are always amazing to look at.


Anna Maria Horner's blog is another I love to look at. She loves her photography, and her kids and house feature prominently in her posts as well as cacophony of colourful shots of her materials and and sewing project she has on the go. Again I love the style of her writing. She has recently seen her eldest daughter off to university and I got a tear in my eye reading it. Makes me wish i had her life!


I used some of Heather Bailey's fabric in my first quilt, Nicey Jane, and instantly wanted to know more about the woman who had created patterns and motifs that took me straight back to my childhood. Again Heather shares wonderful pictures and inspiring words and looks set to take on the world with her creative empire.

Happy browsing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...