Monday 27 September 2010

Live East, Die Young - East London



On Sunday, I visited a friend in the very hip, east end of London. We planned to wander the flower markets on Columbia Road, before a quick lunch at the Albion cafe, and then a look at the shops. It is a shame the weather wasn't better for my visit, indeed it felt like winter had finally arrived, but it still made for a wonderful day out. Here were three of my favourite spots of the day.
 



Quilter Street

As I walked up to Columbia Road from where I parked on Brick Lane (it seemed that 90% of the tube network was shut for the weekend...again), I came across Quilter Street a block from Columbia Road. It is a line of beautiful, workers-cottage style, Edwardian (?) terraces. Each seems to have been lovingly restored, with glossily painted front doors and neat brick work. As I wondered up the street, I imagined the women who must have worked behind these doors, quilting away. They say in London, that the street names derive from whatever use was made of the streets in the old days, generally, from what was sold there. Threadneedle Street and Petticoat Lane owe their names to the Huguenot weavers who settled there, and as Quilter Lane isn't too far from these, I assume it might have been named for the same group. My dad is very interested in our family history is always telling me his latest theories for where our family came from. I remember one of these was that we were descendent from the Huguenot's, so who know, maybe its were I get my love of all things textile from?

Beyond Fabric
http://www.beyond-fabrics.com/
What a super fabric shop, with a real emphasis on traditional looking, old fashion, 30's style fabrics, as well as some more vintage style 50's & 60's-esque children's fabric. You can buy online too, but personally, I love going in and looking at the different fabrics together, pulling them off the shelves, um-ing and ah-ing, driving the shop assistant mad, before finally making off with a nice little stash of fabrics. I got about 6 metres or so. The prices aren't cheap, probably average from what I have seen around London, with prices at the £12/metre mark.

Nelly Duff
http://www.nellyduff.com/
Across the road is Nelly Duff, a very cool gallery and shop selling very cool prints. Mainly silk screen printed, I have also seen some letterpress style posters in there and they have a VERY cool colourful print of some Mexican skulls. I am pretty desperate for them. They are so bright and beautiful I thought they would look great in a nursery, when I said this to my friend, she said "what kind of nightmares do you want to give your children?!". She has a point. I am eyeing off another one of their items for my husband's first anniversary gift. The first anniversary is paper and I think I have found something he would love - if you read this, don't freak out! Nothing I saw in that shop is over £100.

The name from this post is from a print in the Nelly Duff shop, not to be confused with the following piece of graffiti. The print in the shop looks like a wood cutting with an image of an east London street in the 1800's (I'm guessing). A play on words, and very true if you were living there 100 years ago. Unfortunately it seems to still be the case, I saw someone comment on that flickr post for the graffiti art, that the age expectancy of people living in East London dropped with each stop on the eastern extension of the Jubilee line. I don't have a source for this, only hearsay, and very sad if it's true.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...