Thursday 1 September 2011

Haberdashery jealousy

When I heard a haberdashery shop was opening up on our small high street around the corner, I was really excited...but I was also a bit sad. I had been nursing a dream for the last two years or so to do the exact same thing. Then, when I heard this morning, they would also be offering classes as well, I slumped into a bit of a jealous heap frankly. This was my dream business!

To cheer myself up, I had a look at my favourite blog, Yarnstorm by Jane Brocket (I have raved about her here and here before, she is awesome, and her blog always makes my day) and spotted her latest children's book offering, Ruby, Violet, Lime. On the cover, was a photo of some cupcakes with lime green icing. I needed some of those lime green cupcakes in my life, I couldn't be sad with those in my kitchen so I set to baking, and this is what I got. 

Hummingbird Bakery vanilla cupcakes with a bit of food colouring in the mix 

I think some of the plants on our terrace were influencing my colour choices subconsciously.


See what i mean?

My husband's pride and joy - Abutilon. Very pretty.




I still feel a bit sad, but it has mostly been overtaken by feeling a bit sick from a cupcake induced sugar overdose. But seriously I don't think I can let myself feel jealous anymore just because I didn't get around to starting such a business myself. And I didn't start my dream business for several reasons. It doesn't mean there is any need for me to let go of this dream, just because someone has realised theirs around the corner from me. I think I will try and pick up some tips and tricks from them and their experiences, and you can pretty much take for granted that I will be down there enrolled in all their classes. Fingers crossed they start a sewing group. I dream of afternoons spent like this. If they don't, does anyone want to start a sewing circle with me?

I was probably a bit too 'green' to start my own haberdashery business just yet anyway.

2 comments:

  1. I tried to make these same cupcakes last week and it was a disaster!!! They turned out like biscuits - I think because of the sugar to flour ratio...or maybe I just need a KitchenAid. Your garden flowers are looking very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A KitchenAid helps! Only kidding, your mixer is a good one. Check your cooking temperatures. I have had a few disasters myself, you have to follow the recipes exactly. I ruined one cake because i didn't use the precise style cake tin they recommended. Keep trying because they are worth it in the end. I made a batch of lavender ones recently that were beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...