Tuesday 5 April 2011

Things i am reading


The Stone Key: The Obernewtyn Chronicles 6I have been partaking in some 'guilty pleasure' reading lately. I can't help but love a bit of teenage fantasy fiction. But seriously, the Obernewtyn series by Isobelle Carmody is just brilliant for a bit of escapism, and to be fair, i started reading them when i was a 'young adult' and it has taken her a long ol' time to bring out the latest installments. As they aren't the easiest books to get a hold of in London (she is an Aussie author) i stocked up on the whole series while i was at home to refresh my memory and find out what happens next. No spoilers here! But so far the whole series, including the Stone Key, has been a thoroughly enjoyable read and now i am eagerly awaiting the final installation due out late this year.

Howl's Moving CastleIn a somewhat similar vein, i recently read an obituary on the Guardian website for Diana Wynne Jones, an author i hadnt heard of before, but who, as it turns out, wrote Howl's Moving Castle. Now i haven't seen this movie yet, but it has been on my 'must watch' list for a long time, having been a huge fan of Ponyo and Spirited Away (big thanks to Miss Alecia for introducing me to these!), other animated films from Studio Ghibli. It turns out Diana Wynne Jones shared my fondness for teenage fantasy, only instead of just reading them, she wrote them, having been schooled by CS Lewis and Tolkein. She was a prolific writer. I have decided to start with Howl and hopefully move on to some more of her celebrated novels. You can read the article i found here if you are interested in finding out more about her.

Moving into non-fiction, i have been celebrating domesticity with Jane Brocket (I have written about her marvelous blog and quilting book on here before) and baking with Lorraine Pascall.

Jane Brocket briefly recounts her life to date in the Introduction of The Gentle Art of Domesticity, focusing on the somewhat uncomfortable relationship she had with work and the competing pull she felt towards the, somewhat anti-feminist, domestic arts. The book goes on to celebrate everything in the 'domestic space'. Flicking through, this book is beautiful (the edition with the pretty cover in my photo above is out of print, but i managed to get a hold of a copy through Oxfam). She takes you through colours, textures, baking, embroidery, quilting, photography, her garden and more; it is a smattering of everything 'domestic'. Its isn't a 'how to' book, although it does include a few recipes. I think it is more an item of inspiration itself. It enthuses me to get my sewing machine out, turn the oven on, and decorate my home with colour, warmth and love. Corny? Maybe, but i think she has the right idea.

Lorraine Pascall, the former supermodel turned baking goddess, recently had a show, Baking Made Easy, on BBC. I watched and loved! Now, her cookbook, of the same name,  is teaching me to bake bread. My first attempt went completely wrong when i substituted regular bread flour for gluten free flour. The whole half kilo of dough ended up in the bin. Second time around and actually using the listed ingredients, i baked a delicious rosemary focaccia! I also successfully made the Whoopee Cakes first time round. She gives actual tips, like throw ice in the bottom of the oven when you are baking bread (don't ask me why - read the book or watch the series!). Aside from the fact i nearly vomited when i read she was 39 years old (do you need me to hold your hair back for you?), she is just lovely. I love that she has tried so many professions, all in the pursuit of finding the perfect one for her. From what i have read, she has worked very hard to be successful in the culinary world and i am glad she is sharing her baking knowledge with me.

Turning to the magazines, I cant go a month without LivingEtc or Selvedge (actually, two months in Selvedge's case). LivingEtc sates my hunger to look in other people's houses, particularly people who have a good sense of design, space and seem to have a fairly large bank balance! The fact that this is my favourite magazine pretty much confirms i have turned into my mother. Every edition of Selvedge, published every two months, is a textile odyssey. Focusing on a specific aspect or theme of "textiles in fashion, fine art, interiors, travel and shopping", each issue has a very distinct feel. For example, the latest was 'The Localisation issue', two of my recent favourites were 'The Romance Issue' and 'The Quilt Issue'.  Even the advertisements in this magazine are beautiful.

Yay for magazine subscriptions!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...