Monday 8 November 2010

Pretty music

I was working on some designs the other week, bopping away to BBC 6music in the background, when I heard Undertow by Warpaint. It was love at first listen. The feminine voices singing lowly over guitar and bass reminded me of Mazzy Star crossed with My Bloody Valentine. It took me straight back to my teenage years, spent almost entirely with my Sony walkman earphones plugged in my ears.

What's more the four girls that make up the band are all gorgeous girlfriends from childhood. I can feel another girl crush coming on. My husband last night said to me "you really do love them don't you?" upon finding me sitting, glued to my computer, watching them perform some of their songs live. Their CD has been played on a loop continuously since I got it last week. I told him, that these girls must have grown up listening to the same music I did; they are from Los Angeles, I have never been there, but in my imagination, its not worlds away from Sydney; and if I could have ever been in a band (forget for a second I cant play any instruments, and even though I enjoy singing immensely, technically I don't have any actual ability...at all...whatsoever) this is the band I would have wanted to been in.

Their first full album, the Fool, was released just a few weeks ago on Rough Trade records. If you like your alternative 90's bands, music filled with distorted guitar riffs and ethereal female vocals, I strongly suggest having a listen.

I missed out on tickets for their London show next week. However my Australian friends might have a bit more luck, they are heading down that way in February and from all reports (and my Vimeo watching), they are brilliant live.

4 comments:

  1. Cool song Phoebe, Bill saw this and got the album!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isnt it?! My new fvourite is Shadows and Bees. Pleased you liked it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard it on 6 music too and bought the album - I love that radio channel (costs me a fortune) and the album's pretty special too. Try Gabby Young and Other Animals (another 6 music find), it's even better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh i will check them out. 6music is the best isn't it, its the only station i listen too. I wish i could get it in the car. How come it is costing you so much money? From all the music you buy? We must catch up soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...